My community service started as the Chairperson of the Auckland City Youth Council, raising $23,000 for youth concerts and started the night bus service. I have worked for Auckland City Council on the Britomart Transport Interchange and Libraries, Wellington City Council implementing business improvements and at the City of Westminster in London monitoring children at risk.
I was successfully elected onto the Auckland Council Waitemata Local Board in 2010 with 7,000 votes and again in 2013 with 8,000 votes. My portfolios on the board include governance into events, parks, transport, environment & infrastructure, sports & recreation and community grants. I represent the community on the UpTown Business Association. I have a proven track record of progressive success in local government:
- Creating the Symonds Street Community Garden
- Upgrading the Costley Reserve Playground
- Launching our community low carbon cation plan
- Founding the Newmarket Community Association
- Establishing the UpTown Business Disctrict
- Opening the Coxs Bay Boardwalk for walking and cycling
- Implementing the St Mary’s Bay Resident only parking scheme
- Upgrading footpaths in Seccombes Ave
- Implementing a 10 year ecological restoration programme
- Supporting volunteer programs in Waipapa Stream and Newmarket Park
I am a former graduate from the University of Auckland with a Bachelor of Commerce, I am a member of the Rotary Club of Auckland and a former Kidsline buddy.
My decision to run for Council comes from a huge ground swell of friends and supporters that believe in me and what I can achieve for Auckland. After spending almost half my life representing my community it is natural that I decide to stand as your Councillor of the Waitemata and Gulf Ward.
It is my life-long ambition to be Mayor of Auckland.